National 60+/70+
County Cricket Championship

President : Roger Dakin
Vice Presidents: Peter Baxter, Scyld Berry, Henry Blofeld

Weekly Results Summaries All Competitions


2018 Weekly Results Summaries

3rd XI Championship

Week 18

After being rained off on three occasions the fixture v Hertfordshire 3rds eventually took place yesterday at Abbots Langley CC.
The final fixture of the 3rd Xls first season saw them needing to win or gain 7 points from a defeat to overhaul Sussex 3rds in the table. A victory would also achieve a double over Hertfordshire 3rds who finished 2nd in the Division.
Hertfordshire won the toss and unexpectedly asked Buckinghamshire to bat first.
After a superb innings against Surrey 3rds last time out Bob Floyd fell to his only duck of the season in the 2nd over. On a slow low track Peter Redfearn and Steve Shore looked to rebuild the innings. Peter making 51 off 74 balls before fatigue and a very sore leg saw him bowled by John Gibbons.
The Little Marlow pair of Steve and Gerard Holmes looked to increase the scoring rate  but there were black looks when Steve was run out by his club mate for 28 off 61 balls. Ged then fell bowled by John Gibbons for 8, that is what the score book says, but several thought the ball had come back off the keepers pads. George Nelson was joined by captain Ron Hedley and a score around 150 looked likely and probably not enough to win the match.
George struggled to 14 off 42 balls before being bowled by Naran Jagati to herald the arrival of Larry Warr to the wicket and Bucks suddenly upped their game. This was helped by an injury to Martin Keeble who had figures of 1-15 off 6 overs. Warr hit 4 4s in a not out score of 31 off 19 balls and captain Ron Hedley put his recent low scoring run behind him with 5 fours in a not out total of 34 off 36 balls. An unbeaten partnership of 53 taking Bucks to 198 for 5 off 45 overs. The captain had said at the start he thought 180 would be a good score on the track.

With a limited bowling attack it was vital that the Bucks opening pair of Latif Khan and Ged Holmes made early breakthroughs. Khan bowled superbly and soon had Gibbons superbly caught at slip by George Nelson for 4 and then had Ray McHugh lbw for 0. Bucks thought they had the Herts star man caught behind, superbly by Larry Warr, off Holmes for 3 but it was not given and he chose not to walk, this appalled his batting partner as well as the Bucks players. He was then dropped and it looked as though Bucks may regret not getting him out.
However Holmes and Warr were to combine again to dismiss him for 18. Alan Hunter and Robert Collins then got Herts back into the match with Hunter making 20 and Collins 52. Hunter was superbly run out by Steve Shore with a direct hit and Colin Winton soon followed LBW to Mahmood Khan for 3.
The Bucks captain risked all by leaving bowlers on meaning he would have to use a 6th bowler, which he didn’t have, in an attempt to bowl Herts out of the match. Mark Rogers had the dangerous Collins LBW when he had reached 52 and it was left to Bernard Murphy and Andy Welch to keep Herts very much in the match  before a return to the attack for Latif Khan saw Murphy caught by Mark Rogers for 29 and Steve Shore brilliantly caught Andy for 22.
Still needing around 7 an over to win for Herts and Bucks to find an over from a 6th bowler, who became captain Ron Hedley, the result was very much in the balance with 4 overs to go.
The threat of the captain bowling had an affect on both teams as the last two batsmen were both run out by Guyanne Morgan leaving the Bucks players to contemplate what the outcome may have been if Hedley had bowled. Khan finished with 4 -17 off 9 overs
A great win for Bucks 3rds and a fifth victory in a most enjoyable first season in the competition.

Week 17

Bucks v Surrey

urrey 60s 3rd XI completed their league season with a win against Bucks at Chalfont St Giles CC. Before we discuss the cricket, I have to say that being greeted with homemade biscuits and cakes with the pre-match cups of tea was an excellent start to the afternoon. Unfortunately, I’d lost the toss and we were fielding first, so some self-restraint was called upon.

Following early morning rain, the wicket was a bit green and damp. So the Bucks innings started slowly, and they seem content just to occupy the crease whilst they got the measure of the wicket. Once it became clear the wicket wasn’t misbehaving, both batsmen started to steadily accumulate runs.  Nigel and Andy bowled tidy opening spells and John Muir kept the pressure up, bowling his 9 overs for 25 runs.  It was Gareth, however, that made the break through getting an LBW as Peter Redfearn missed an attempted sweep shot.  His opening partner, Bob Floyd, kept going and progressed to 71 before being bowled by Robert.  We picked up two more quick wickets, one a run out following skilful footwork from Andy to kick the ball back down the wicket for Bill to complete the run out.  Although why the batsmen thought there was a run, having tapped the ball straight back to the bowler, remains a mystery.  Gerald Holmes was forced to retire having pulled a muscle, which brought Larry Warr to the wicket. Just as he had in the home fixture a few weeks ago he threw the bat at everything. His rapid 25 took Bucks to 208 in their 45 overs.

Rather than any tactical discussion, the talk over tea was of the red kites that were seen regularly circling low over the ground.

Given our recent strong batting performances we were confident of being able to chase down that score. So after tea and more homemade cakes, Peter and Rob Ford got us underway with an opening partnership of 71, before they were both dismissed in quick succession. Brian followed soon after.  A partnership of 48, in rapid time, between John and Graham got us back on track and following Graham’s dismissal Bill, riding his luck initially, added further useful runs before a misunderstanding resulted in him being run out trying to complete a third run.   As he was changed and sitting in the pavilion at the time Peter Furner claimed, with some justification, that this was one run out we couldn’t blame on him. John Muir went quickly for 0. At 189 for 6 things looked a bit trickier than a few minutes earlier.  However, with Andy batting sensibly and John continuing to calmly knock the ball around we got the 20 runs needed with 2 overs to spare. John ended with yet another not out, for 62 this time.

Thanks to the umpires and scorers, particularly Chris Hardy the Chalfont St Giles CC chairman who scored for us.  Plus, a big thanks to Chalfont St Giles CC for hosting the game and providing an excellent tea and refreshments.

Week 16

Surrey v Sussex

The game this week was on the square at Kingstonian, which as all and sundry know is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two pies. As is customary, skipper Ross lost the toss and Surrey were put in to bat. No sooner had Messers Ford and Furner (usually referred to as FF, but not necessarily fast forward) started facing the Sussex bowling than controversy reared its ugly head, rather than it's pretty one.  John Mooore, the Sussex bowler, in his first over was warned not once but twice by the Sussex Umpire of bowling above head height and had to be removed from the Sussex attack.

Both Peter and Robert took advantage of a good pitch and fast outfield and pushed the score on at a good rate. Robert was first out, well stumped for 40. Peter followed shortly after for a rapid 67 off 86 balls (very unfurneresque) and Surrey were cruising. Enter the in-form John Parkins and Brian Thorpe. After a brief settling in period they both continued to attack with JP stroking the ball around nicely, and Brian employing his trademark shot to cowpie corner. John eventually perished for a good 75 . He did request that we look how he managed to stroke the ball all round the field, and that we examine his "wagon wheel" or as he preferred to call it his pie chart. With only a few balls remaining, John Muir was promoted up the order, strode to the crease, swished his bat, and returned to the pavilion. Surrey duly finished their innings on a competitive 260 odd for 4

Surrey seemed to be in a very comfortable position, but the Sussex batsmen soon dispelled such thoughts and set about the Surrey bowling with aplomb or to be more accurate, with their bats..But it must be said though that Surrey were bowling a considerable number of pies, and the Sussex openers Matthews and Stillwell duly tucked in. Robert Brown, who was starting his run-up some in the covers, came off after a couple of wayward overs to be replaced by Andy Cassie. The Abbott was also a bit astray, as Sussex comfortably passed the hundred mark. With John Muir pulling up lame after a couple of overs, Surrey called on the services of Garteh Gunter with his dibbly dobblers and recalled Robert B. Both bowlers had success , as the batsmen tired, bowling Stillwell for 89 and Matthews for 58.
Resistance seemed to crumble thereafter with a run out, accredited to Robert Brown but involved Andy B running several yards to collect a wayward throw and running back to demolish the stumps. Three smart stumpings followed off the bowling of Gareth, and "back from the grave" John Muir, and skipper Graham Ross. It must be pointed out that one decision by the Surrey Umpire, was excellent, as he spotted that the Sussex batsman had replaced his bat on the line, and not behind it and promptly lifted the dreaded finger. Two further wickets duly fell to catches from Robert Ford (in slow motion) and Peter Furner and Sussex finished on a creditable 220 odd for 8
Once again, the follicly-challenged, or as we refer to them," The Piebald" of Surrey 3's narrowly triumphed over Sussex 3's in a good spirited game.

Week 15

Kent v Surrey

Miracle at the Mote

Andy’s on tour this week. So, this week’s match report will be more matter of fact than you are used to.  And the fact is yesterday we ended Kent long run of 40 plus league games without defeat.

Winning the toss and choosing to bat on a hot humid day was a good start, but having been reduced 44 for 5 after 17 overs our chances of ending Kent long winning run looked remote.  However, the arrival of Ian Walters at the wicket transformed our fortunes.   His positive batting disrupted the Kent spinners normal dominance and a series of partnership with Jeff G-H, Michael Lewis and Andy Cassie took us towards a respectable total. Ian was out shortly after reaching his hundred, off only 80 balls. A few more blows from Andy Cassie in making a valuable 26, and then with the help of a few wides and no balls, Robert Brown and Gareth Gunter got us past 200.

Kent where clearly rattled having expected to dismiss us for much less.  However, to beat them we realised we probably need to bowl them out. Equally, with the threat of rain later in the afternoon Kent realised they needed to score quickly at the start of their innings to avoid getting behind on the run rate.  After 10 overs they had reached 52 runs, but more importantly we had taken 5 wickets. Robert Brown 3 and Andy Cassie 2.  That put us in the ascendency and was uncharted territory of Kent, another 150 needed with only 5 wickets left.

Adrian Berendt led the Kent recovery as they rebuilt their inning and kept the run rate up with that required.  Ian Walters made another import contribution with a wicket, courtesy of a stumping from Michael Lewis, to break a promising partnership and expose the Kent tail.  With dark rain clouds gathering, Robert Brown was brought back with the hope that he would finish off the innings. Three wickets in two overs did just that. One was a stretching one-handed catch by Jeff to dismiss the dangerous Berendt and another a diving catch at point by Gareth.  It was then left to Martin Annable to finish of the innings in the next over getting an LBW decision against their no 10. So, where Kent dismissed for 151 of 30.4 overs, their last 4 wickets going in the space of just 3.4 overs. Robert finished with 6 for 26 from 8 overs an outstanding performance especially as his first two overs cost 18 runs.

No sooner had we reached the changing rooms than the rained arrived.  Paradoxically, if at arrived a few minutes earlier Kent would have won due to a superior run rate despite being 9 down and over 50 runs still needed. However, that didn’t matter as we had beaten both the rain and Kent to dismiss them in just over 30 overs. 

I’d like to thank the team, especial Jeff G-H, for all the advice I received on field setting, it was much appreciating even if I did appear to ignore you.

Week 14

Surrey v Herts Normal service was resumed as Graham Ross lost the toss, and Herts put Surrey in to bat.
Surrey opened with Peter Furner and Robert Ford, but despite a couple of boundaries in the first few overs, Surrey struggled to get the run rate over 3 an over. Robert was first out for 17 and Peter was joined by JP. Although John looked to attack, he didn't see much of the ball and the run rate remained slow until John was again run out for 32.
Brian Thorpe was next in and after settling in began to attack with his usual nudges, nurdles and hoiks to cow corner. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Peter pushed the occasional single or two but failed to  attack the ball and in all of his 54 only got three boundaries.
Skipper Ross, assessed the situation correctly, and sent in "biffer" Muir at the fall of Peter.. Immediately he added some urgency to the situation , and despite being twice dropped, smote the ball around the ground for a rapid 32 in 16 balls. Brian likewise attacked for an excellent 42. With just a handful of overs left Graham scored a rapid 21no and Surrey finished on 225 for 7.

After tea Surrey struck early doors, with a smart catch down the legside from Andy B , standing up, off the bowling of "The Abbott". The pressure was maintained as Surrey failed to get another wicket but kept the run rate down. Robert Brown replaced Nigel and claimed the next wicket, caught well by Brian in the deep.
The two Andies agained combined to dismiss the number 4 , caught behind. Despite being a bit wayward, Andy C claimed the next wicket , bowling the Herts number 5 for 11. Surrey were in the ascendency, but failed to make another breakthrough as Herts increased the rate and gradually accumalated the runs. Gareth was next on but both batsmen were comfortable and rarely looked in trouble. Robert returned and in time bowled the number 6 for 39. Meanwhile, the Herts number 3 comfortably passed his 50 and took the fight to Surrey.
Gareth re-enetered the attack and claimed two wickets, an lbw and bowled , and then it was down to the last over and then the last ball. With Herts needing 2 to win and 1 to draw, the last delivery was duly struck for 2.
A closer game than this you could not have and all played in the best of spirits. Well done to all and sundry and well umpired and scored.

Week 13

Essex v Surrey

With Essex having lost the toss, the Surrey acting captain Andy Cassie elected to field first, a ploy that worked the last time these 2 teams met. 
Unfortunately, unbeknown to Andy, several of his players were carrying injuries ,   notably 3 of the bowlers, including himself ! The usually  economic Abbott opened the bowling but was rather wayward and came off after a few overs , clearly out of sorts having strained a fetlock. Iain Barker opened at the other end  and was much tighter, but Essex were accumulating runs at a rapid rate. This continued despite the introduction of John Muir and Robert Brown, although Robert did succeed in beating the bat on several occasions. But with the outfield fast and the fielding rather ragged, Essex continued to amass runs and didn't lose a wicket until they had reached around 140, with Robert Ford catching Bawa off Cassie for 74. The other opener followed shortly being bowled by Andy for 87. The Essex number 3 looked dangerous but was smartly removed , run out by Robert's throw and Andy B's juggling removal of the bails from the stumps. "The Abbott" was brought back into the attack, and bowled a bit more accurately, tempting the number 6 into a rash shot resulting in a smart stumping. Meanwhile Andy C picked up his third wicket, a catch by John Parkins. But the damage was already done, and despite another run out from the throw of Robert to Andy B, Essex had amassed a good total, finishing on 272 for 6. 
Surrey opened their innings with the centurions from the game with Beds, Thorpe and Ford, but both struggled to get the ball away until Robert  became the first of the Essex keeper's 6 victims, for not very many. "Furner the Burner" was next in and looked to push the run rate on but became another victim to Mr Weeden ( not Bert Weeden of guitar fame I believe) Enter in-form JP but he too couldn't push things along. Although he and Brian  were picking up occasional 1's or 2's, boundaries were noticeable by their absence.  Both JP and eventually Brian were duly caught behind, to be followed by Len O'Zone who managed to score a couple of 4's before duly being another victim of Mr Weeden, although Len did stand his ground for a while, convinced that the umpire really meant to say "not Out" ) Iain Barker came and went in short order, also caught behind and  Surrey were reeling at 103 for 6 and with 28 overs gone things looked desperate. However, Messers Beaumont and Muir, proceeded to hit the ball all around the park; both players passed their 50's as Surrey passed 200 , eventually finishing on 245 for 6 with John on 71no and Andy on 66no.

Week 12

Kent v Essex

Kent welcomed Essex to the historic Bat and Ball Ground in Gravesend knowing that their visitors were including the prolific Nigel Bloch in a strong batting line up. Tom Carmichael’s disappointment at losing the toss was tempered by Essex’s decision to field.
Kent were again missing key top order batsmen and were not helped by the loss of two early wickets. Graeme Moir seldom disappoints but was crestfallen to top edge Naomal Wijijesooriya’s loosener to keeper Dave Weedon for 58. Alex presnell was promoted up the order and responded with 43 off 47 balls. At the other end Steve Walker returning to the team hit scored an invaluable 538 as Kent totalled a respectable but distinctly gettable 200 for 4.
The Kent spinners then demolished the powerful top order with some top class bowling. Andy Pye, Neil Richards and Martyn Pendergast all took 2 wickets as Essex were reduced to 52 for 6. Bob Adye (59*) and Cary Harbone restored some respectability but Kent were victorious by 46 runs.

Sussex v Surrey

Surrey who won the toss chose to field and opened the bowling with Andy Cassie and Nigel Abbott;. Andy struggled to start with but the Abbott was spot on and soon induced the Sussex number 2 to edge the ball for a straight forward catch to the keeper (oh, that's me). Correction, it was in fact a half-chance brilliantly snaffled by yours truely. Andy was replaced by our favourite Dutch master, Jaap Voeglaar. He quickly claimed the wicket of the other opener, who undone by Jaap's lack of pace, duly hit his own wicket.

Wickets fell at a fairly regular rate, another to Jaap, a smart stumping and another to Nigel , bowling the Sussex number 4. Sussex were unable to steady the ship, which had unfortunately washed up on the pitch during the last high tide, and further wickets followed with Jaap picking up his third victim, lbw, and Andy Cassie bowling the number 6.. Robert Brown, bowling off his short run-up joined in the party and picked up 3 wickets, 2 bowled and a catch by Darius. Gareth Gunter also claimed a wicket, an lbw. Sussex were duly all out in the final over for a meagre 139.

An excellent tea was taken, and then Surrey opened their batting with Peter Furner and Brian Thorpe. Much speculation had taken place before the game as to whether the skipper would pair Furner with Burge, with bets being taken as to who would run the other out or even if they could run each other out similtaneously. But the skipper wisely turned down this option.
Peter and Brian looked to be in shape as the runs started to flow, but the shape turned to the pear variety when Brian attempted a trade-mark hoik to cow-corner only to play on. .John "The Average" Parkins was next to the crease and looked very comfortable and Surrey looked in full control as they passed the hundred mark. Peter then claimed his first "victim" as John called for a quick single, and as he ran down the pitch saw Peter's back returning to his crease., and John was run out for 35.
Then , the match we had all come to see; who would be "The Run Out King"; a battle of the giants was in store, but sadly they both disappointed as they safely steered Surrey to victory with Peter 55 not out and Darius 17 not out.

Week 11

Surrey v Bucks

Well, for the first time ever, Surrey 3's entertained a team from Bucks, and the venue was Kingstonian.
Normal service was resumed with skipper Ross losing the toss with the result that Surrey fielded first, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. .Butch Cassie opened the bowling with The Abbott, and Bucks , although looking solid, struggled to score. In an attempt to push the run rate up the Bucks number 1 threatened to come down the wicket to Nigel. Having spotted this, Andy B and Nigel hatched a cunning plan which immediately played dividends (much like the Coop apparently) as Andy pulled off a sharp stumping to one of Nigel's quicker slower deliveries (much like Deliveroo).The next in for Bucks looked the part and occasional smote a good shot, but he became becalmed as the run rate hovered around 3 an over. Nigel struck again with a catch by Graham to dismiss the other opener. Gareth Gunter (no that's not rhyming slang) came on to bowl his dibbly dobbly, wibbly wobblers and proceeded to totally confuse the oppo batsmen until the number 4 was deceived by a full toss, (which still hasn't landed)  and lobbed the ball to John Parkins ( no relation to his self-declared twin, Double Parkin).Gareth picked up his second wicket, lbw and Bucks were really struggling. With Qureshi the no. 3 passing 50 and the overs quickly diminishing, he eventually perished to Andy C caught once again by J.P.
With only 6 overs remaining it looked as though Surrey would be chasing a meagre total of around 160, but enter Bucks number 7 who proceeded to smote the ball all around the park for an excellent 42 no , using his pull shot to great effect much to the dismay of Robert B in particular who was on the receiving end. One final wicket was to fall, however, a run out off the final delivery after a fine throw from Andy C with the total on 190 for 6

Surrey opened with Darius Burge and Brian "The Thorpedo" Thorpe, and runs flowed easily for both batmen. Surrey proceeded smoothly  until Brian, on 47 was run out.  It says in the scorebook that the credit went to "Unsure" but Brian thought it should be credited to Darius. It must be said though, that if Brian had attempted to run his bat in he still might have made it. Without doubt however, he would have benefitted from the recently patented "multi-purpose Swiss Army style bat" With such a weapon at his disposal he could easily have pressed the button on the handle to activate the quick-release telescopic funtion thereby extending the handle to nearly twice it's length (as on  travel umbrellas) and comfortably make his ground. Sadly he failed to do this and walked slowly back to the boundary in a cloud of despair.
Meanwhile Darius continued on his way and passed his 50 accompanied by the in-form John Parkins. Once again John calmly stroked the ball around , gradually accumulating the runs. Last week it was noted that whilst batting he had one eye on his average, but he couldn't be accused of that this week: undoubtedly this time it was both eyes. Darius then perished for 58, caught . With Surrey in a comfortable position, Derek Rushforth came to the crease,  and unlike his name, attempted to take the game down to the wire, and then surprised all and sundry by launching the ball into the deep. Our flabbers couldn't have been more ghasted.
Anyway, Surrey cruised to victory without further loss with John on 64no and Derek 18no

Herts v Beds

Beds came to Kings Langley and could have brought the Whipsnade lions with them, such were the savannah-like conditions that prevailed. It would have been almost too dry for the lions as the Three Rivers fall in level. And so, on a blisteringly hot, sunny day, Beds won the toss and unsurprisingly elected to bat on a firm, dry wicket with a parched, fast outfield; 250 plus looked to be the minimum par score. Willis et al started the onslaught with gusto as the ball sped regularly to the boundary. However, Herts stuck to the task, did not become discouraged and gradually got into the game. Fielding and bowling was disciplined and wickets started to fall regularly thanks to tight bowling by the Herts attack. Parkar (66) enlivened the middle order and scored quickly but the Beds batting petered out in the last ten overs following his dismissal. Pick of the herts bowling was the ever reliable Nagatia and Achillini, who re discovered his mojo much to the delight of his team mates and himself.

In reply, after a good tea, Herts put in a very disciplined batting performance and reached the 200 total with plenty of overs to spare. All the top order performed well although Willis and Parkar bowled with enthusiasm and snared a couple of wickets each. The pick of the batters was evergreen, Tony Johnson,who  in hitting the winning runs with an imperious driven 4, reached a well deserved fifty.It was a good game of cricket, played on a hot day, in the right spirit.

Week 10

Buckinghamshire 3rd Xl v Kent 3rd Xl   5th July 2018

The Bucks 3rd Xl took on all conquering Kent 3rds at Winchmore Hill (Penn) CC. Kent have won 41 matches in a row and gave Bucks a 10 wicket drubbing in the first match of the season.
On a sweltering day Bucks lost the toss and took to the field against the prolific Kent batting line up. The bowlers were up against it from the start and at the mid way point it looked as if Kent would amass well above 300. Moir 79 and Abbett 52 were the main stay of the Kent innings but Bucks fought back to restrict Kent to 232 for 5. Smith 2-39, Holmes (L. Marlow) 2-38 led the fight back and Larry Warr (Chearsley) made three stumpings.
Bucks never really got to grips with the target and finished short on 147 for 8 against an excellent Kent attack. Ron Hedley (Amersham Hill) 22, Steve Shore (L. Marlow) 22 and David Lander (Penn Street) 21 were the main contributors.

Submitted by Bucks

Another long journey took Kent to another new ground in Winchmore Hill (Penn) . The bucolic setting was an absolute delight. An very hot and another very important toss was won by Tom Carmichael. Peter Newman (36) and Graeme Moir (79) continued their impressive form, whilst Howard Abbett added a run-a-ball 52 before becoming one of Larry Warr’s three stumpings. Kent ended on 232 for 5 with Alan Smith and Gerald Holmes both returning good figures with 2 wickets each.
The Buckinghamshire reply was held in check by the usual accurate Kent bowling. Although 8 men reached double figures, none got more than 22 in a total of 147 for 8. There were two wickets each for Howard Abbett , Alex Presnell and Peter Meyers.

Sumitted by Kent

Beds v Surrey

It was a boiling hot day as the Muttley crew of Surrey 3's, complete with their scorer, Penelope Pitstop, lovechild  of Lady Penelope and Parker (or was it Parkin? ) travelled to play the Anthill Mob, aka Bedfordshire, for the first time this season. Skippy , Graham Ross, who had yet to call correctly, ever, had strict instructions to call "Tails" despite his natural tendency to call "Edge or "Heads" , followed instructions and actually won the toss. The omens were good for Surrey.
Surrey opened with their dynamic duo of "Bob the Builder" Ford and "Officer Dibble" Thorpe and the runs started flowing straight away. Ford focussed (did you spot that play on words there?) on stroking the ball around as Thorpey nudged, nurdled , bludgeoned, and occasionally employed the sweep, but not the Sooty , as the totalled soared. Both raced to their 50's as  they competed to see who would be top cat. (Can you spot the theme; can you see what it is yet?)
With the heat taking it's toll of the fielding side, it was no surprise that a few clangers were dropped as Robert passed the 100 mark, shortly to be followed by Brian . The latter was then adjudged LBW for an excellent107 .  John Parkins was next in and continued the onslaught , but with a careful eye on his average. Robert continued on his way until he was bowled for a superb 145. But by now, Beds were in a bit of a tiswas, and they were unable to take hart from this dismissal,  as Alan Hunwick struck a couple of massive ariel,(sorry I mean aerial,  the theme isn't washing powders) shots and Surrey finished on a massive score of 367 for 2 with John unbeaten on 59 , having safely improved his average, and Alan on 30 no.
Tea was then taken, and what a scrumptious tea it was.
Surrey opened their bowling with John Muir, aka Mr Ed ,`the talking horse`, and Nigel Abbott, the dancing horse. . It took a while for the first wicket to fall, and it came from an accurate throw from Mr Ed as the Beds number 1 was adjudged not to be "Rin Tin Tin". (A bit of rhyming slang there; hope you appreciated that)  A controversial incident then occurred as the other Beds opener was initially given out, LBW, only to be reinstated after consultation, with the umpire acknowledging that he had made a boo-boo. Andy (Pandy) Cassie was brought into the attack , bowling into the sun, but he had no success for once and admitted he didn't have a scooby doo where the stumps were. Alan Lester picked up the second wicket of the number 2, caught by Andy C. The run rate by this time was beyond calculation, as Beds tried to salvage a few batting points, with their number 3, Rix, attacking when he could. But wickets fell at the other end, an LBW to Nigel A and a catch behind by Andy B. . Then, surprise, surprise, captain Pugwash bought himself on, with the express intent of lobbing the ball up into the sun so the batsmen were unable to see it and in time claimed another LBW, that of the number 3 Rix for a good 71 
With overs slowly running out , Robert Brown, in his second spell picked up the 6th wicket , bowled, and Beds finished on a creditable 213 for 6.
It was a comprehensive victory for Surrey, but all credit to Beds for sticking with it and playing the game in a good spirit.

Week 9

Beds v Kent

Kent made the long journey up to Potton and we rewarded with a lovely ground and wicket. The hot weather made it an important toss and Bedfordshire had no hesitation in batting. Skipper Ian Willis led the way with a hard hit 59 and Benny Patel (34) and Sam Parkar (48) helping the total up to a useful 184 for 8. Peter Meyers was the leading Kent bowler with 4 for 33. Kent were slightly apprehensive at tea and ,with a couple of batsmen missing, Steve Simonini was moved up to number 3. As it happened he wasn’t needed as Peter Newman (101*) and Graeme Moir (60*) saw Kent home by 10 wickets

Essex v Surrey

The venue was Loughton CC  , somewhere on the northern borders of civilisation (or London as we call it) with a quaint oldie worldly thatch-roofed changing rooms.
Surrey were put in to bat.
Andy "Butch" Cassie opened the bowling and reaped success with his very first delivery, a veritable snorter, bowling the Essex opener. Nigel Abbott was back to his frugal self from the other end, giving nothing away but failed to get a wicket. Andy C claimed another wicket, played on and Essex were struggling. With the heat beating down, skipper Ross was forced to rotate his bowlers (and not on a spit over a fire) which although saving them from heat exhaustion, tended to disrupt their rhythm a bit. Alan Lester, bowled tightly (could  he be described as having Irritable Bowler Syndrome, he really got on the batsmen's nerves with his accuracy) and justly got a wicket, stumped (just) by Andy B  of the number 4 after an excellent although somewhat slow stand of nearly a 100 with the number 4 (although he looked on the verge of collapse on several occasions..
Part-time bowler Len Ozone came into the attack and bowled well to start with, but became more wayward in time but also picked up 2 wickets , well caught in the deep by messers Brown and Hunwick.
After 30 overs, however, Surrey yet again began to wilt and Essex piled on the runs. Cassie picked up another wicket and Essex finished on 201 for 6
After a somewhat frugal tea (back in the time warp again) Thorpe and Ford opened the batting for Surrey. Brian was out lbw again, and Robert played on after looking very comfortable. Alan Hunwick was also dismissed cheaply which brought JP alias the Sundown Kid and skipper Ross to the crease. Gradually they steadied the ship and increased the run rate, both passing 50 in an excellent stand of  141. JP elegantly stroked the ball around whilst Graham employed his pull and cut strokes to good effect. With victory in sight, Graham was out for 69. Andy B came and went (he couldn't hit a barn door with a buffalo at present) which left Len and John to bring Surrey home with JP finishing on 87no.

Week 8

Bucks v Herts

Bucks in their first season of 3rd Xl Over 60s cricket were in confident mood after an exciting win against Essex 3rd Xl last week. Herts 3rds won the toss and surprisingly asked Bucks to bat first on a good track at the picturesque Winchmore Hill ( Penn) CC ground. Captain Ron Hedley (Amersham Hill CC) and Bob Floyd ( Bledlow Village CC) looked to build a solid base. Floyd started fluently and they were helped by some wide bowling to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Hedley took 16 balls to get off  the mark but he and Floyd achieved the 1st 100 run partnership for Bucks 3rds in the 23rd over. Floyd fell for 40 and Braganza and Lander soon followed to slow Bucks down. Hedley fell to a dubious decision as he was caught off a shoulder high delivery, making 55 off 67 deliveries. Nelson and Warr and then Ged Holmes (Little Marlow CC) with 25 pushed the scoring along for Bucks to reach their highest total of 210 for 8
A couple of loose overs and far too many wides helped Hertfordshire 3rds to a great start. Latif Khan (Stoke Green CC) then bowled one of the openers and then there was inspired captaincy or maybe lot of luck as the other opener was caught off Khan when 1st slip was moved to 3rd slip and Bob Floyd held the catch well. The game was always in the balance with Robert Collins 70 no doing his best to get Herts to victory. However a brilliant catch by keeper Larry Warr, standing up to Francis Braganza (Downley CC) broke a dangerous partnership followed by a brilliant run out with a direct hit from Nelson tipping the balance towards Bucks 3rds. Two more run outs helped Bucks to limit Herts 3rds to 198 for 9 and give Bucks 3rds a third win of the season.

Surrey v Kent

Kent 3rd XI’s visit to Banstead started so well for Surrey. A sharp piece of fielding by Robert Brown running out the prolific Graeme Muir, then tight bowling from all our bowlers kept the run rate down. At the 30 overs mark Kent where concerned with only 107 runs on the board.  Unfortunately, that proved to be the high-water mark for Surrey. Significantly Kent had only lost two wickets. So, they had a platform for an assault in the last 15 overs. Opener Peter Newman was eventually dismissed for 77, although that brought all-rounder Peter Meyers to the wicket, who taking a leaf from the Bairstow/Hales book of batting, smacked 30 off 15 balls as they took 50 from the last five overs. This took Kent to 231, far more than they would have expected an hour earlier.  Colin Sharp and Robert Brown who bowled at the death saw their bowling figures suffer as a consequence.

Earlier in the afternoon John Muir had bowled extremely tightly to return figures of 9 overs for 21 runs.

Surrey’s inning started explosively with Alan Hunwick launching a huge straight six in the third over. Unfortunately, an attempt, a couple of overs, later to repeat the shot ended up with an outside edge being caught on the covers. From then on Surrey regularly lost wickets reaching 59 for 6.  John Muir and Andy Cassie threw the bat towards the end, until John was run out when his fierce straight drive ricocheted off the bowler’s stumps straight to the cover fielder, whose throw to the keeper found John stranded well out of his ground. Two more wickets saw Surrey dismissed for a paltry 92. A miserable end to an afternoon that had started so promisingly. Martyn Pendergast was the pick of the Kent bowlers with 3-16.

Week 7

Bucks v Essex

After a thrashing against Sussex 3rds last week this looked a very difficult game against a team who seem to score runs for fun.
Added to this Essex won the toss and elected to bat. However cricket can be a funny game and when Larry Warr (Chearsley CC) brought off a quick witted stumping to remove Essex’s star batsman and captain for 4, Bucks hopes began to rise. Excellent bowling from Alan Smith (Bletchley CC) and Latif Khan (Slough CC) reduced Essex to 25 for 4. Ged Holmes (Lt Marlow CC) then came on and with a wicket with his second ball and two more in his spell, he, and Mahmood Aktar (Stoke Green CC) further reduced Essex to 73 for 8. Essex were grateful to Ayde  with 52 no,and No 10 Harborne 24 for lifting them to a more respectable 140 for 9 off 45 overs. Smith 2 – 28, Khan 1- 26, Holmes 3-26 and Aktar 2-26 for Bucks 3rds.
Bucks didn’t get off to the best of starts and were reduced to 44 for 3. However David Lander (Penn Street CC) playing his second match was joined by George Nelson (Chearsley CC) and they took the score to 90 before Lander was run out. Holmes then fell cheaply and Bucks nails were being bitten as Larry Warr joined Nelson. Two fours in an over for Nelson followed by a huge six by Warr steadied the nerves and Bucks reached victory with 3 overs to spare. Mark Wheeler finished with 3 -16 for Essex. A great victory for Bucks 3rd Xl in their first season in the competition. This Thursday they take on high flying Hertfordshire 3rds at the lovely Winchmore Hill ( Penn) ground.

Herts v Surrey

On a somewhat cloudy day, Surrey went north of the Thames again to Abbots Langley, not to be confused with Abbot's dangley (now try and get that image out of your mind !).

As per usual , Graham lost the toss (I don't know why he really bothers ; he might as well just ask the oppo what they want to do ) and Surrey were inserted. 

Alan Hunwick and Brian Thorpe opened, and with the ball keeping low settled in before Brian was the first of many to be given out LBW. John Parkins back from the surgeons table and showing no signs of the frontal labotomy , apart from the odd little skip after taking a run; I suppose it's better than a twitch but only just. He and Alan put on a good partnership with Alan going aerial to good effect and John stroking the ball around nicely. With Surrey in a good position 4 wickets fell fairly rapidly with John getting 24 and Alan 37 and Graham and Andy B  departing cheaply , adjudged lbw to some good swing bowling. Suspicions were raised that dark arts were at work and questions raised when the bowler in question asked the umpire if he had an electrical extension lead amonst his apparel so he could plug in his Black and Decker sanding machine, but these efforts were thwarted when they couldn't get the donkey onto the treadmill to get the generator started, so he had to resort to some extreme polishing of the ball on his trousers (at least I think that's what he was doing).

Enter Bill Turner to steady the ship along with Colin Sharp until Colin became the fourth victim of the dreaded finger. New boy John Muir, joined Bill for a useful 24 whilst Bill perished for 38. A few more runs were added when Andy Cassie became the 5th lbw victim and Surrey finished on 185 for 9

It must be pointed out here, that it had come to our attention that the Herts umpire was suffering from a mystery arthritic condition which severely hampered his ability to stretch his arms wide during the Surrey innings. Although this limited his ability to signal what appeared to be several wides it did not hamper his capacity to raise one arm with a pointy finger. We are pleased (or not) to report that the partaking of tea seemed to cure him of this handicap as he proceeded to stretch his arms on a regular basis regardless of the situation , probably on the advice of his physio-therapist , but failed to raise the pointy finger as this was proving counter-productive.

Herts started their innings positively , racing along at 5 per over . Then John Muir managed to bowl the number 2 fro 9  . But the relief was short lived as the Herts batamen stroked , cut and occasionally edged the ball the ball with alarming frequency through the off side.  If we could look at the Wagon-Wheel it would make interesting viewing , and would undoubtly confirm what we have suspected for some time that they are definately smaller than when we were young and have less chocolate to boot.

Andy Cassie was brought into the attack and in time got amonst the wickets. Herts had a bit of a wobble after seeming to be cruising, but Surrey failed to take their chances as catches were spilled. Colin Sharp bowled tightly without success but John Muir claimed another wicket off a long hop. Robert Brown eventually bowled Gibbons the opener for 70 and Herts began to panic. Andy C struck twice more, and Andy B held onto a scorcher off the bowling of Abbot, having earlier dropped a sitter, but Herts struggled across the line with 2 wickets and a couple of overs to spare.

Kent v Sussex

Kent struggled to get going at Orpington but a late flourish took them to 184 for 5. Tight bowling by Jonathan Pearce restricted Sussex to
152-8 despite 72* by Gerry Clark

Week 6

Sussex v Bucks

After two rained off  matches since Bucks 3rds beat Sussex 3rds at Coleshill CC a long journey was met by rain as the match was about to get underway at Tunbridge Wells Borderers CC. Fortunately after a 45 min delay the match started without further interruption.
Bucks won the toss and batted first. Captain Ron Hedley (Amersham Hill CC), who was 2nd Xl captain for 4 seasons and had not opened for the past two season’s plus gave into player power and opened for the 3rd Xl v Sussex 3rds. He and Bob Floyd
 (Bledlow Village CC) put on 70 for the first wicket before Floyd fell for 30. An excellent spell from Ray Wells 3-11 off  9 overs tied Bucks down and the scoring rate fell as Steve Shore (Lt Marlow CC) David Lander (Penn Street CC) and Julian Coppock ( Knotty Green CC) all fell cheaply and Hedley fell for 38 leaving Bucks on 108 for 5. Larry Warr (Chearsley CC) gave Bucks hope with a belligerent 40 n.o. off 37 balls and he put on 60 with Terry Bentley (Penn & Tylers Green CC) 21 off 44 balls to see Bucks end on 168 for 5. Bucks did feel a lot of negative leg side bowling was allowed by the umpires.
A Sussex side showing 6 changes from their defeat to Bucks weeks earlier made light work of the total and won by 9 wickets in the 36th over. R Southgate  77 n.o. and S Goldsmith 69 n.o

Herts v Kent

Kent batted first against Herts at Broxbourne and totalled 210 for 5 with Bob Green leading the way with 68 and Graeme Moir chipping in with 44. John Gibbons was the pick of the bowlers with 5 for 37.

After an earlt wobble, Herts put up a determined chase led by an outstanding 102 from Martin Dunnett who was well supported by Bernard Murphy. Dunnett fell in the last over leaving Kent winners by 5 runs.

Week 5

Essex v Kent

The long drive up the A12 to the immaculate Copford ground proved worthwhile as the rain that covered the South East didn't reach that part of Essex.

Kent decided to field and were rewarded with early wickets. Andy Phillips (36) and Bob Adye (37) staged a fightback and Kiran Patel hit a quickfire 22. Neil Richrads and Jonathan Pearce discovered that they had plenty in common as they shared Oxford University cricketing experiences and also shared 18 overs for just 39; with Richards taking 5 wickets.

Alan Moxon (31) and Graeme Moir started well for Kent but 3 wickets were lost for 1 run. Steve Walker (42*) and Moir (79*) steadied the ship to see Kent home by 7 wickets

Week 4

No reportes submitted

Week 3

Bedfordshire vs Essex played at Ickwell CC in Bedfordshire on the 17th May.

Essex won the toss and elected to bat.

Essex lost an early wicket from a needless run out but recovered with a 120 run partnership for the second wicket by Naomal Wijesooriya (75) and Vikash Amin (33). The score reached 177/4 after 30 overs and Essex ended on 235 for 9 in 45 overs;  for Bedfordshire, Ian Willis  had figures of 4 for 28 off 9 overs

Bedfordshire in reply posted an opening partnership of 90 runs in 18 overs, with Ian Wiilis scoring 69 of them.Mark Wheeler got 2 wickets in his fifth over, ending the opening partnership and accounting for the number 3 batsman in the 19th over..

From then on wickets fell regularly with Mark taking a wickets in each of his next 3 overs, ending with match winning figures of 5 for 41 in 9 overs.
Ian Willis went on to score 72 but was dismissed by Mark Wheeler with the score on 103/3 , in the 21st over; Bedfordshire were still up with the rate required at this stage.
There was a late flourish for the 7th and 8th wickets, producing 77 runs, with useful contributions from R Saltmarsh (32) and d Butterworth (29), but the regular loss of wickets before then, meant there was too much to do from 106/6.

Essex won by 31 runs bowling out Bedfordshire for 204 off the last ball.

Buckinghamshire 0ver 60s 3rd Xl v Sussex Over 60s 3rd Xl

After a crushing defeat to Kent 3rds in their first ever 3rd Xl fixture Buckinghamshire took on Sussex at the lovely Colesill CC ground in warm sunshine.
Sussex won the toss and put Bucks into bat.
John Moffit 13 and Bob Floyd 20 put on 22 for the first wicket and it was 45 when Floyd fell, both openers falling to M McNeill. After top scoring with 37 against Kent Steve Shore batted steadily and with Francis Braganza 38 took the score to 126 for 3. Shore was joined by Captain Ron Hedley and they took the score to 187 for 3 off 45 overs. Shore not out on a great 81 and Hedley 19 no.

Sussex 3rds started cautiously against the bowling of Latif Khan and lost wickets on 19, 24, 40 and 45 to put Bucks on top and Sussex behind the run rate. P Oxborrow 24, R Wells 15 R Fowler 13 kept Sussex ticking over but they never got up with the run rate as F Braganza struck twice and M Aktar once. J Josiah 33 no and T Stanley 17 no could never match the required run rate and Sussex 3rds finished on 147 for 7. Khan 3-12, Braganza 2-31 and Aktar 1-36.
A first ever win for Bucks 3rds.

Kent 3rds v Herts 3rds

Kent won the toss and batted at Gravesend. Peter Newman kept the score going whilst Graeme Moir(69) bedded in. The acceleration came when Chris Whitaker (41) joined Graeme and Kent went on to plunder 77 from the last 10 overs. A highlight was the running between the wickets especial after Peter Grant joined a now injured Graeme as his runner.
Herts struggled to can momentum against the Kent bowlers, who were well-supported in the field,  and ended up 85 runs short. The wickets were evenly shared with Neil Richards being particularly economical.

Week 2

Buckinghamshire decided to bat in their first 3rd XI championship game against Kent. Steve Simonini quickly dismissed the top order whist taking 3 for 13. Stephen Shore and skipper Ron Hedley then added 50 before a flurry of wickets led to Bucks being dismissed for 102. There were two wickets each for Martyn Pendergast, Pete Meyers and Howard Abbett. Kent openers Graeme Moir (53*) and Peter  Newman (44*) knocked off the runs in 22.3 overs.

Sunshine, shade and shadows over Old Owens

This must have been one of the closest matches of the season with the result being in doubt until the last ball. Essex batted first and began very positively with the run rate  soon exceeding 6 an over. Bhawa, Phillips, Carter and Anderson all batted well and it looked at one point as if the total might exceed 240. Herts fielded tightly and very good bowling towards the end of the innings, notably by Jagatia and Murphy restricted the total. A turning point of the innings was when Phillips, who was going well was run out by a direct hit from Baker.

In reply, Herts started slowly and uncertainly in the face of paceless bowling, a well set field and good stops both in the ring and on the boundary. The asking rate went up to over 7 an over and Dunnett, Hunter, Acillini and Murphy batted determinedly during this difficult period. Hunter was out to a stunning catch in the covers by the Essex captain. Towards the end, Murphy and Achillini batted superbly and Ricci eventually perished for a well made 38 in the chase.
Fifteen runs were required from the last 2 overs and all results were possible with the smart money being on a tie. However Murphy batted with great authority in the gathering gloom and got the win off the last ball with a firmly hit cover drive. He had been aided by swishing and scampering by tail ender, Jagatia.

It was a magnificent game of cricket, played in an excellent spirit and perhaps a tie would have been a fair result. Well played to both sides!

Week 1

All three matches were lost to the wet weather.



DMS Sports